I’m trying to create a .jar file using the mac terminal but am having bit of trouble. I followed the steps here but was unsuccessful. I got this error message:
Failed to load Main-Class manifest attribute from aclient.jar
So how exactly do you go about doing it? My java program is called Main.java and I have compiled it into a .class file. Now what do I do?
1) Ensure that all necessary files are within the directory, you have opened a terminal/Command Prompt and have navigated to that directory.
2) Compile the .java class, for example HelloWorld.java with
3) This will produce a .class file needed for the JAR file.
4) Next create a manifest file (saved using the extension .txt) using the text editor and input the following
or whatever your file’s name is.
5) Next create the JAR file using this code:
jar cfm HelloWorld.jar Manifest.txt HelloWorld.class
6) Run the file:
java -jar HelloWorld.jar
Hope this helps others, cheers Tom!
Following inga’s comment it’s worth noting that in order to include multiple files in the jar you need to use the:
jar cfm HelloWorld.jar Manifest.txt *.class