Skip to content
Advertisement

NoSuchAlgorithmException: Algorithm HmacSHA1 not available

Look at the following line of java:

Mac.getInstance("HmacSHA1");

If I put this in a simple test program, it runs without problems on my server. However, if I use this line in a container, I get

java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: Algorithm HmacSHA1 not available
  at javax.crypto.Mac.getInstance(DashoA13*..)

The same JDK installation is used in both cases.

After googling around a bit, I managed to get it to work by doing two things:

  1. Copying sunjce_provider.jar from $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext to the lib directory of the container.
  2. Adding the following line to my code:

    java.security.Security.addProvider(new com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE());

Specifically, this happens to me in an Apache James mailet, but I’m pretty sure this is has to do with JVM options. Here is the startup script that it uses.

Although I got it to work in the end, the solution feels too hacked to be the right one. I would appreciate an explanation of what is going on, as well as a more “proper” solution.

Related question: Using Java crypto leads to NoSuchAlgorithmException. However, in this case I’m pretty sure the HmacSHA1 algorithm should be supported out of the box. As evidence, this works without problems in a test program.

Advertisement

Answer

The startup script sets the java.ext.dirs to its own set of directories (specific to the application) but omitting the “normal” extension directory ($JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/ext/) which is where sunjce_provider.jar resides. This explains your first point (copying the Jar file to the lib directory makes it visible again). This is easily reproduced.

As for the second point, I think this is due the policy file that the startup script sets with the -Djava.security.policy option. Whether some providers are available or not depends on policy files. The default policy file makes the SunJCE provider available, but since the startup scripts mandates a non-default, custom policy file, then anything goes. I suggest you take a look at that policy file.

For instance, on my system (Ubuntu Linux, with Sun JVM 1.6.0_20 as packaged by Ubuntu), the default policy file is in /etc/java-6-sun/security/java.security and contains (among others) the following lines:

security.provider.1=sun.security.provider.Sun
security.provider.2=sun.security.rsa.SunRsaSign
security.provider.3=com.sun.net.ssl.internal.ssl.Provider
security.provider.4=com.sun.crypto.provider.SunJCE
security.provider.5=sun.security.jgss.SunProvider
security.provider.6=com.sun.security.sasl.Provider
security.provider.7=org.jcp.xml.dsig.internal.dom.XMLDSigRI
security.provider.8=sun.security.smartcardio.SunPCSC

which define what providers should be available by default. From your symptoms, I think that the custom policy file made SunJCE unavailable unless explicitly registered (which is understandable since the startup script also removed the access to the Jar file containing SunJCE…).

Advertisement