How can I install an additional java on MacOS? I installed jdk8 and that works fine. but now I need a jdk7 installation for development purposes. When trying to install the old version via DMG file, i get a warning, that there is already a newer version of java installed and the installer quits.
/usr/libexec/java_home -verbose Matching Java Virtual Machines (1): 1.8.0_20, x86_64: "Java SE 8" /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_20.jdk/Contents/Home /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/jdk1.8.0_20.jdk/Contents/Home
How to install jdk7 in addition to this one?
The cleanest way to manage multiple java versions on Mac is to use
homebrew-caskto install the versions of java
jenvto manage the installed versions of java
As seen on http://hanxue-it.blogspot.ch/2014/05/installing-java-8-managing-multiple.html , these are the steps to follow.
- install homebrew
- install homebrew jenv
- install homebrew-cask
- install a specific java version using cask (see “homebrew-cask versions” paragraph below)
- add this version for jenv to manage it
- check the version is correctly managed by jenv
- repeat steps 4 to 6 for each version of java you need
homebrew/cask-versions tap to homebrew using:
brew tap homebrew/cask-versions
Then you can look at all the versions available:
brew search java
Then you can install the version(s) you like:
brew cask install java7 brew cask install java6
And add them to be managed by jenv as usual.
jenv add <javaVersionPathHere>
I think this is the cleanest & simplest way to go about it.
Another important thing to note, as mentioned in Mac OS X 10.6.7 Java Path Current JDK confusing :
For different types of JDKs or installations, you will have different paths
You can check the paths of the versions installed using
/usr/libexec/java_home -V, see How do I check if the Java JDK is installed on Mac?
On Mac OS X Mavericks, I found as following:
1) Built-in JRE default:
2) JDKs downloaded from Apple:
3) JDKs downloaded from Oracle:
- Removing Java 8 JDK from Mac
- “brew tap” explained https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew/blob/master/share/doc/homebrew/brew-tap.md
- “brew versions” explained Homebrew install specific version of formula? and also https://github.com/Homebrew/homebrew-versions
- “cask versions”, similar to “brew versions”, see https://github.com/caskroom/homebrew-versions and also https://github.com/caskroom/homebrew-cask/issues/9447